A reader from Dubai asks: I am currently working for my employer but wish to change jobs and work for another company once I complete one year's service. The other company has asked me if my current company can provide a no-objection certificate (NoC). I consulted with our administration and was told it can provide me with one. What else do I need to avoid being banned?

If the questioner wants to transfer to a new company I advise him to make sure he does not submit his resignation before obtaining the NoC letter in order to transfer his visa. This is in order to avoid the ban stamped by the Ministry of Labour, especially as the employee might submit his resignation and the employer might then refuse to issue an NoC letter. He should complete one year's continuous service for the company; which is fixed by the Ministry of Labour as a minimum period in order to permit the employee to transfer to another employer.

Questions answered by Advocate Mohammad Ebrahim Al Shaiba of Al Bahr Advocates and Legal Consultants.